Thursday, January 17, 2008

Patriotism and Blogging...

I have quite a few questions that make me scratch my head:

1. Does Patriotism mean staying in one's country and not step out at all?

2. Isn't Patriotism more a feeling pertaining to one's heart than the place one stays or where one comes from?

I define Patriotism as a feeling that every person who can 'think' is bestowed with. It is present in the hearts of all those people, who are considered more as normal human beings than morons. I find it a little difficult to understand when some people (especially in India) take ownership of 'patriotism' and claim that as an indigenous feeling, inside them. Inside only them! They also strongly believe that once somebody steps out of their motherland, they are no longer patriotic. And as per them, such people can't even talk of patriotism. I find it a little disturbing. Just because somebody stays out of home and away from parents, he/she does not lose the love and affection for his/her parents/home. The same applies to country as well. And I can positively say people who step out of their home-country at least once have got a better patriotic feeling than those who stay within the country. To be honest, I should say that I realized the specialty/greatness of home (both my home and country) only after I got a chance to go places.

I started this blog as I simply like writing and most of what I write gives me inexplicable happiness. That being said, most of my blog-posts needn't be completely true or reflect what I exactly think. I write some of my posts, just for the sake of fun for myself and for the reader. And as per me, blogging itself is more a medium to give vent to your thoughts and a good “while-away-time” concept, most of the times aimed at fun. And so are the comments that are being posted to blogs. A couple of days ago, I left a comment in one of the fellow-bloggers’ blog-spots and she hit me back with a reply that was a little skanky. And she made sure that she gives me the same sort of comments in all the other blog-spots that I comment regularly. And one of the comments were about Patriotism and as per people like her, guys like me shouldn’t talk about Patriotism, because we don’t stay in India. How silly is that? I still can’t figure out what makes people jump to baseless conclusions like that. And most people who move to other countries for career (esp. IT folks) would have spent a minimum of 20 years in their home country during childhood and education. And that’s enough to instill patriotism in them!

It is indeed weird how people take things. Everyday I get to meet different people and 'that' person who commented is one among them. Here, as I type this I smile thinking of this world, our country and the people!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

enna aachu....ithukellam koba pattu odamba ketuthuka koodathu....solravanga sollittu pogattumm....kundu satiyilae kuthirai ottikittu sandosama irukiravangaluku ellam namma patura kastam theriyaathu...puriyathu...

Next time answer back that the forex is the one which literally bailed India out.....

Anonymous said...

Why are you yelling at people ? You know what's in your heart. You can't satisfy everybody.

Oooo. I am also a loser. Being away from home = Not fit to say a word about India.

Guru said...

Of the total number who leave India, 90% ( i might be wrong with the numbers) just move on and forget bout' the nation and sometimes go to the extent of saying shit about the country, and maybe the rest 10% (very few people) remain patriotic.

Now like i said i might be wrong with the numbers, but this is what we assume ( and can be completely false), but this is the current mindset of the people in India.

So with such a large number turning into jackasses,some people just tend to generalize.

And i think the perfect way to resolve this little issue, will be to tell her that you are not one of 'them'( that 90%). But, then even after that if she still persists with her (ignorant?)views, you know which finger to use. Right ?

Anonymous said...

I think you should stand for US Presidential Election. You will win debates..

Anonymous said...

One more thing i want to say here. I don't know what Guru meant by s**t. But talking something negative about India doesn't mean that you don't love your own country.

As per human psychology (at least Indian Psycholoy) Love/Patriotism is directly proportional to the distance (from home/city/state/country). Again no need to express that in words. We all know what's in our hearts.

Arun Sundar said...

Ela,

Mikka nandri. Your comment made me feel better :)

Amar,

You know I can't control myself at times! ;) And I completely agree with the distance concept as well!

Guru,

What u said is highly arguable/debatable. I wouldn't completely agree with you when you said "most of the people who move out of India forget about India". As a matter of fact, I have seen lot of people residing in foreign countries do pretty good deeds to India. And for the same matter I have found every Indian who has gone out of India appreciating movies like "Swades" and most of people who residing in India coudn't. And as Amar said, most of "Indians-living-abroad" may talk ill about our country, but that does not mean that they hate India.

But your last line certainly made me laugh! good one there :)

Venky,

At last - your first comment in my blogspot. And dont forget this comment of u'rs for u may have to cast your vote for me in one of the future elections!

Guru said...

@Amar: I'm talking about the kind of people who talk crap just for the sake of it( i-need-to-talk crap about India even if it makes no sense guys), i've seen a lot of them. Infact i'll tell you about this friend who is planning to go abroad very soon for his PG, we have these arguments all the time. Most of them will start with him saying 'India is the sickest country in the world, macha', or something like we 'All Indian girls suck da,cos' they have brown skin(he likes pink skin)'.


The number of such people might be (very)low, but then it is just common perception at least with the uneducated and the (in your case) ignorant people in India that anyone who goes abroad becomes a India hater( like i described).

So all i'm trying to say here is that even if a very high percentage of indians going abroad are patriotic, but still people have this misconception.

Arun Sundar said...

I agree with "'All Indian girls suck da" part though...lol!

Is the guy who said that shahrukh or something??

Guru said...

Do you think if Sharfuck was 'my friend' i would still be here ?

And about the 'indian girls suck part', i had to censor the rest of his sentence. Lets say my friend is not into total skin color, but skin color at a few specific body regions(hint .. men love IT)..

You still agree with him ? ;-)

Arun Sundar said...

Ok ok....we are goin waaayyyyy out of the topic ;)

I said...

idhu enna rhetorical question-a

Anonymous said...

arun, if we say folks who have stepped out of India cannot claim themselves to be patriotic , then I think Gandhi , Nehru , Ambedkar and many other freedom fighters has to be called "unpatriotic" . Would she like to call them so ?? If not for Gandhi's experience in SA , he would have not got transformed to transform India.If not for the Cambridge education of Nehru , he would have not become the architect of Modern India.
Where you are doesn't matter , What you are alone matters . So just shrug it off and go on. Namma ellarum "Thirai Kadal Oodi Thiraviyam" thedikittu irukkoam , as per the old Tamil saying.....

Arun Sundar said...

I,

Paatha eppadi theriyuthu??

Ela,

Yaara solreenga? ;)

JP,

Nethi Adi maapla! :)

Anonymous said...

ippa avanga irukira nelamayoda seriousness theriyama innam lousy vaayoda pesikittu alayara pasangala thaan sonen!

Shiv said...

true...have got similar comments like this and had a blog post on the same lines...http://hearitfromshiv.blogspot.com/2008/01/for-love-of-nation.html

Archana said...

:) couldn't control after reading your blog, and ended up writng a new entry in my blog as a reply here
Thanks for this perspective though!